The refuge “Don Bosco Huascaran” is located at the foot of the highest peak of the Cordillera Blanca. It was built in the summer of 2001 by the children of the Oratory of the Andes, led by some Italian volunteers.
We have radio coverage with operations base in Marcará (Ancash).
- Altitude: 4700 m
- Place: Huascaran Moraine Camp
- Mountains to climb: Huascaran South and North
- Open: June to september
- Capacity: 60 beds in shared rooms with cabins, restaurant service and toilets.
- Access: Transport from Huaraz or Marcara, passing through the city of Carhuaz; Take a detour to the villages of Shilla and Huaypan on the right, from there a moderate 4-hour walk along a marked path to the refuge.
- Activities: Two options. Walk 3 hours to field one of Huascarán (5200 m.), Has no difficulties but requires mountain equipment). Or approach the glacier (40 minutes) and enjoy contact with the ice.